Global Warming Deniers…Denied.

Remember that number global warming deniers throw around — those 500 scientists that have supposedly signed onto a letter denying the existence of anthropogenic climate change? 500. It’s a number you hear on the nightly news near the end of many stories on climate change, and it’s also a number invented by the Heartland Institute, one of Washington’s most conservative thinktanks.

As it turns out, that the number is a fabrication. Our friends over at DeSmogBlog sent questionnaires to each signer, and received back some interesting quotes. Here’s a sampling of the responses they got:

I am very shocked to see my name in the list of “500 Scientists with Documented Doubts of Man-Made Global Warming Scares”. Because none of my research publications has ever indicated that the global warming is not as a consequence of anthropogenic greenhouse gases, I view that the inclusion of my name in such list without my permission or consensus has damaged my professional reputation as an atmospheric scientist.”

Dr. Ming Cai, Associate Professor, Department of Meteorology, Florida State University.

They have taken our ice core research in Wyoming and twisted it to meet their own agenda. This is not science.”

Dr. Paul F. Schuster, Hydrologist, US Geological Survey

I am horrified to find my name on such a list. I have spent the last 20 years arguing the opposite.”

Dr. David Sugden. Professor of Geography, University of Edinburgh

I have NO doubts ..the recent changes in global climate ARE man-induced. I insist that you immediately remove my name from this list since I did not give you permission to put it there.”

Dr. Gregory Cutter, Professor, Department of Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Old Dominion University

The list of rejections goes on and on, exposing deniers for who they really are — pawns of the fossil fuel industry, and fabricators. Next time somebody asks you about the “500 scientists who do not believe global warming is real,” tell them the real story: That youth are leading the way to a safe climate — that we are building an unstoppable movement more powerful than the special interests.

10 Responses to “Global Warming Deniers…Denied.”

1. 1 Jesse Jenkins Apr 30th, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Gotta love when they get caught in their own lies! This is some excellent investigative reporting by DeSmogBlog, who continues to keep a close and scrutinizing watch on climate deniers, delayers and detractors. Nice work DeSmogBlog!

2. 2 anon Apr 30th, 2008 at 5:03 pm

“I am not now, nor have I ever been, a climate-change denier”

3. 3 Juan May 1st, 2008 at 6:30 am

This is great intel. thanks for sharing this.

4. 4 Dan Miller May 1st, 2008 at 11:09 am

As usual in its jihad against Heartland, SmogBlog gets its facts utterly wrong.

1. Heartland isn’t the source or the author of the purported list. It came from the Hudson Institute.

2. There is no list of 500 scientists signing a statement denying the existence of anthropogenic climate change. SmogBlog invented that “list” and ascribed it to Heartland as a straw man to continue its attack on Heartland. The 500 scientists SmogBlog refers to are those whose work in various aspects of climate change was cited in “Unstoppable Global Warming” by Fred Singer and Dennis Avery. Singer and Avery never asserted those scientists agreed on anything. Singer and Avery cited the scientists’ work in a bibliography to buttress their argument that natural cycles of climate change exist.

3. Academics cited in the Singer/Avery study have no right to demand that their work not appear in bibliographies such as in “Unstoppable Global Warming.” In fact, Singer and Avery do the authors a favor by stating clearly that not all of the authors cited question the theory of AGW.

4. Heartland offers more than 25,000 articles on its Website, including an abstract of “Unstoppable Global Warming.” That abstract appears on many other Web sites. Surely SmogBlog is able to access more than one site. Why focus on Heartland?

5. Heartland isn’t “one of Washington’s most conservative think tanks.” We’re based in Chicago.

6. If anyone has a gripe about the list of scientists cited in the bibliography, they should contact the Hudson Institute, which issued the press release that is on Heartland’s site.

Dan Miller
    Publisher
    Heartland Institute
    Chicago.

5. 5 Earl E May 1st, 2008 at 11:59 am

I am a denier…

I do not believe the methane blooms off the coast of Africa which are dumping methane into the atmosphere at alarming rates are because of over-fishing.

I don’t believe in the droughts in the midwest last year and the crop loss that occured. I don’t believe the pac norwest salmon fishing is shut down this year. I don’t believe the photos of the Larson B ice shelf calving or any of the myriad of photos showing glaciers evaporating, I don’t believe the glacial lakes drained overnight.

I don’t belive in dead-zones around all continental shelves, I don’t believe the cost of gasoline is rising from increased demand. I don’t believe that global dimming from particulate pollution as measured by Ramanathan over the Maldives occured, nor is the pan evaporation rate declining world-wide as measured by farmers in the same pan for the last century.

I instead believe in God, something completely lacking any scientific evidence and based solely on humans from two centuries ago who believed that they heard voices.

I am going to go turn my car on in the garage with the door shut and pray for all of you warmers.

6. 6 Cristoffer May 1st, 2008 at 12:29 pm

I am sorry to say, but NONE of the names mentioned above are on the lists of people who signed the Manhattan Declaration. You can look for yourselves. Also, it is not true that all the signers received a questionnaire. I attended the conference in N.Y and signed the declaration. Dind’t get any mail from DeSmogBlog though. I am sorry to say, but the joke is in you.

7. 7 Ventura May 1st, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Cristoffer,

You smug moron — the list being referred to is not the Manhattan Declaration. It is a list of 500 researchers alleged by the Heartland Institute to be supporters of Heartland’s climate change denial agenda.

And, yes, the names mentioned above are on the list — look for yourself — http://www.heartland.org/pdf/21978.pdf

So, I’m not quite sure who “the joke is in [sic].”

Think and click a link or two before shooting your idiot mouth off. Dope.

8. 8 Wadard May 4th, 2008 at 1:52 am

The most effective thing you can do to ramp up the fight against climate change is to go and take on a AGW denial propagandist, on their own astroturf.

9. 9 bi -- Intl. J. Inact. May 5th, 2008 at 6:40 am

It’s hilarious — Heartland publisher Dan Miller is denying that Heartland’s portraying the scientists as skeptics!

From Heartland’s 14 Sep 2007 press release:

“The key dispute, of course, is whether the recent global warming has been due to humans burning fossil fuels or to the natural, moderate 1,500 year cycle discovered in the Greenland and Antarctic ice cores in the 1980s [...which is] now supported by hundreds of peer-reviewed research reports, with more than 1,000 authors and co-authors, from research institutions around the world.”

From Heartland’s 1 May 2008 press release:

“Avery and Singer published an earlier list in September 12, 2007 including more than 300 peer-reviewed scientists–most cited in their book–who had published evidence of the long climate cycle in prestigious journals such as Science, Nature, and Climate Dynamics.”

Anyway… why in the nine hells is this story not in the mainstream media yet?

– bi, International Journal of Inactivism

1. 1 More damn lies | The Climate Scam Trackback on May 1st, 2008 at 12:44 pm

About Phil

Phil has been a campus clean energy activist and helped organize Step It Up 2007, the largest national open source grassroots campaign to stop global warming. He is currently working on building an international movement, focusing specifically on mobilizing and educating people in Africa and the Middle East. His new project, 350.org, will stitch together a creative, powerful and unstoppable global movement pushing for bold and comprehensive action on climate change on the international level.